|Number of Players
Astoria is a land filled with magic and intrigue! A handful of Arch-Mages are competing for the loyalty of wizards across the land so that they can wield ultimate power.
Lizard Wizard is a game from the same team that brought you Raccoon Tycoon. Some aspects of gameplay will be familiar to fans of RT, and will add a bit of extra depth and strategy.
In Lizard Wizard, players will compete to recruit wizards from seven unique schools of magic, build mystical towers, research powerful spells, summon helpful familiars, and search dark dungeons for gold and items of power. Only one Arch-Mage will rise above the rest and control all the land. Will you be the one?
Lizard Wizard is an action-selection game. On a player’s turn, they can perform one of the following six Actions:
1) GATHER REAGENTS
Just as there are seven schools of magic, there are seven magical reagents, or ingredients, that power the magic of Astoria. Knowing where these natural wonders be located is the essential starting point for every young wizard. Sometimes they will use familiars to perform this errand, but it is still very common to find even the most powerful arch-mages lurking in the Enchanted Wood, searching for the most pure reagents.
- Use a Gather Reagents Card
- Take the Reagents shown on the ‘Gather Reagents’ half (plus any on your Wizard Cards)
- Increase the value of Reagents shown on the ‘Increase Value’ half
- Cast a spell (if you have the necessary reagents)
2) CONVERT REAGENTS TO MANA
Long ago, the wizards of Astoria figured out how to convert reagents into mana, the magical energy that powers all things. The process is no longer dangerous, but still takes great focus and knowledge.
- Turn in one kind of reagents to the supply
- Obtain Mana = Value of that Reagent x Tokens turned in
- Reduce the Value of the Reagent by the number of Tokens turned in
3) RECRUIT WIZARD
The Arch Mages of Astoria are competing for ultimate power, which can only be achieved by drawing several lesser wizards into their circle of influence. They will do this through demonstrations of their magical ability. Occasionally, their attempts to recruit a wizard will be challenged by one or more rivals, and a Wizard’s Duel occurs. These contests of magical power will drain even the most powerful mage.
- Pick one of the two Wizard Cards on offer and bid Mana in turn (or pass)
- Winner of the Auction will pay the bid and take the Wizard Card
- If the player who bgan the Auction didn’t win, they may take another Action
4) RESEARCH SPELL
Arch-Mages are able to learn spells from any of the seven schools of magic. Once they have learned a new spell, it still must be cast with reagents (and the help of a familiar) before it takes effect.
- Choose a Spell Card from the four on offer and pay 5 Mana
- Put the Spell Card face down in front of you
- Cast the Spell if you have the required Reagents
5) CREATE A TOWER
Magical Towers will amplify the power of wizards of each school of magic. Towers may be made through powerful magic, or built by workers who must be paid.
- Pay either the Reagents or the Gold displayed on the Tower Card on offer
- Take the Tower Card and put it in front of you
- Towers increase your storage for Reagents by 1
6) SUMMON FAMILIAR:
Familiars are magical spirits that are summoned and will inhabit the bodies of mortal creatures. They are essential servants who carry out many vital services for wizards: They may be used for simple errands, such as gathering reagents or gold. They are the only ones who are able to locate the ever-shifting entrance to the famous Dungeons of Astoria. They are also essential assistants in the complex rituals needed to cast spells.
Utilize the Card for one of four purposes:
a) Score one School of Magic (2 Gold per Card of the same School of Magic as the Familiar)
b) Gather the Reagents shown on the Familiar Card and Cast any number of Spells
c) Clear the Spell Offer, Replace them with four new Spell Cards and pick one for free
d) Enter the Dungeon
- Draw cards from the top of the Dungeon Deck, stopping whenever you want
- Monster Cards will ‘hit’; 2 hits = failure
- If you stop before you fail, keep the treasure cards and shuffle the monster cards back into the Dungeon Deck
- If you fail, shuffle all the drawn cards back into the Dungeon Deck
End Game and Scoring
The game is over when any one of the following decks is depleted: Familiar, Tower, Wizard, Spell.
When the game is over, the players will score points for each Wizard and Tower Card combo (10 VP if they are of the same school of magic, and 5 VP if they are not), 3 VP for each Spell Card in schools of magic where they have a matching Wizard and Tower, 1 VP for each Gold gathered from the dungeon or from scoring with a Familiar Card, and any points derived from the special abilities from spells.