|Number of Players
The bonfires are sources of light, energy and warmth made by the guardians of light in order to brighten the cities on the dark planet. However the residents of the cities took the bonfires for granted and exploited them for their personal gain. Disappointed the guardians of light retreated and let the bonfires go out. The citizens could no longer live in what was now dark cities and had to leave.
You are a group of gnomes living outside of the cities and you also need and the light of the bonfires. Missing it now as well, you attempt to visit the cities and learn how to ignite the bonfires once again: You must visit the guardians of light on their holy islands and request tasks to prove your good will. For each finished task, they will reignite one extinguished bonfire. Whoever manages to gain the greatest trust from the guardians and can brighten their city the most will win the game.
The engine for the game are the three-coloured tiles you will be placing onto your player board. When you can place the same colours adjacent to one another, you will get more action tiles of that specific kind. This will let you specialize in certain types of actions and pursue different strategies.
You can use the tiles to do the following actions:
- Move your ship to an island.
- Receive a task from an island by spending 2 resources.
- Invite a guardian of light to your city.
- Trigger a procession of guardians through your city and earn resources.
- Add a landscape tile to your city (this is where the processions happen).
- Recruit a gnome receiving a special ability or victory points.
- Find support by the last bonfire, earning portals, resources or action tiles.
You will play in turn order until a fixed number of tasks has been completed, after which each player has 5 more turns. During final scoring, you will get points for your completed tasks (the bonfires) and any improvements made there (portals, landscapes or guardians).